So earlier I posted something about how and why do people sleep walk/ sleep talk/sleep eat etc.
And I did some research.
While no one really knows exactly why but there are a few proposals.
1) When someone goes from one stage of sleep to the next, they can briefly awaken. Sometimes they can be both awake and in deep sleep at the same time. That’s right a part of your brain can be awake while the other is asleep.
- more frequent when people are sleep deprived
- or sleeping in a strange location (this could be a survival technique too)
2) These parasomnia events seem to have a genetic component to it also. If your family has a long history of it, you have more chances of experiencing something like it.
3) Children are more prone to sleep walking/talking. Why is this?
Well first you should know that GABA is a chemical that inhibits the motor system in sleep.
Some children have yet to develop a good enough system to release this neurotransmitter.
OKAY, that’s all I got so far!
Hope you learned something.